It is all about the boys at our house on Christmas morning and trying not to go overboard while striking a balance between the things my boys want and the things they need is my goal each year. Mixing in a few design-centric items made from natural materials is something I need to do in an effort to counteract the onslaught of highly branded plastic that is seemingly inevitable.
Wooden toys are a bit of an obsession for me, you can see that on display here, here and here. Before my boys were born, I had fantasies of my children playing exclusively with toys that were constructed from natural materials…a girl can dream. The good news that there are a lot of wooden toys that my boys love and have stood the test of time. Here is our short list of favorites:
1. Miller Goodman Playshapes (You can see us in action with them here.)
2. This puzzle and pretty much any of the Montessori inspired toys from Kid O are my go to gifts for kids.
3. Cuboro Marble Run from the Wooden Wagon
4. Areaware Bear from OK
5. Block and Tackle (maybe a good way to get toys from downstairs to up)
6. Cable Car from Inquisitive Kid
8. Swoop Bags are sure to dramatically change your life if Legos are your reality.
9. Initial Capes from Chasing Fireflies.
10. Darth Vader Lego flashlights I picked these up at Black Ink on my Boston trip.
12. Pick Up Sticks
13. Moleskine storyboard journal
14. Big Art Set from Dick Blick